So, another project that is open-source - so you could find all the components and build an awesome retro DOS slayer;
The weeCee is a PCB hobbyist project utilizing the Vortex86DX based SOM304RD-VI SoM (system on module) - essentially an 800 MHz 486 PC on steroids. The weeCee was designed by rasteri and featured on his YouTube channel as well as on LGR's (linked below). The Vortex86DX is originally designed for industrial applications, those still running on DOS systems of the 80's and 90's, but turns out is also incredible useful as a retro PC gaming platform by simply adding a modern-era sound chip on the opposite side (hooked up through the ISA bus).
The weeCee features:
- 25,50, 100, upto 800 MHz speed customizable Vortex86DX 486 CPU with 256MB of mainboard 300MHz DDR2 RAM,similarin maxperformance to that of a Pentium II 233 MMX,ideal for DOS-era gamingfromthe1980s to mid 90s.
- The highly capable XGI Volari Z9s video adapter with 32MB RAM and VBE 3.0, providing wide support for DOS-era games,including later VESA games and early 3D games (via software rendering).
- The Cirrus Logic CS4237B audio chipset, supporting the AC97 audio standard with DOS support for Windows Sound System, Sound Blaster Pro, Adlib, Roland MT-32/LAPC-1 (via SoftMPU), and MPU-401 General MIDI.
- Pre-installed DreamBlaster S2 (by Serdashop), high quality MIDIsynthesizerfor your DOS-era gaming(via MPU-401).
If you want to build, you can find details @ https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/weeCee___Tiny_DOS_Gaming_PC.html
And if you just want to buy for Christmas, bids start at $600 for a nice fully assembled model w/ a CAP (buy-it now) of $1000. Pricey, but it hits a lot of points that would make an everything-DOS machine @
mdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAkHDWTQxY4Es2nYJAbedjGjdrE6e8gmDsACf7vk%2BQGbte%2B%2B0ADx1G VzMEmcgX2SoFdMTmVUbTjLa9p6p33YcWYUdNeVRiSagYFNH0%2Bo6qtQg2SvwyV6DACy9xpXlTluXe eqP2UJzWXygCZr3An16zGCB6toWO52lrUkAbfxlOrQiaJ%2FbE3WhJL4wHp2xS3Hhrhw%3D%3D%7Ct kp%3ABk9SR-7vx76eYQ
(ICK - ebay.com and search for "weeCee 800MHz Vortex86DX Mini DOS x86 Retro PC (Handmade, Fully Assembled)". :P
--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Linux/64)
* Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)